[Skip to content]

  • Rykneld Homes Facebook
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
Search our Site
Rykneld Homes
Carbon Monoxide banner.png

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless toxic gas which can kill you if you breathe in too much of it. You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if an appliance in your home (that is your gas fire, central heating boiler, solid fuel boiler/fire, warm air unit or water heater) have not been fitted or maintained properly. 

You are at risk if:

  • Any gas appliances are not working properly
  • You have not allowed us access to carry out the annual servicing of your heating appliances
  • There is staining or soot marks on or near the walls around your appliances
  • Your chimney or flue gets blocked up
  • You block vents and prevent the free flow of air in your room
  • You sleep in the same room where an appliance is left burning at night.

 

Dangers of sleeping in a room with an open flue appliance

There is new legislation to prevent people sleeping in a room with an open flue appliance. This is due to the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If your current living arrangements mean that someone is using the lounge area as sleeping accommodation, you should contact your Housing and Support Officer who will assess your situation and discuss available options with you.

For further advice about any of your heating appliances or the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, please contact our Gas Compliance Team on 08000 121 621.


 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Tiredness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Drowsiness
  • Becoming increasingly erratic
  • Feeling light-headed

 

If you are worried that you or any of your family are suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, you should switch off all gas appliances and telephone the Gas Emergency Service Provider on 0800 111 999 immediately.

You should also contact our Repairs Contact Centre on 08000 121 621 and we will send an Engineer to your home.

We recommend that you purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector, which can alert you to Carbon Monoxide build up in your home.

 

Get in touch

Complete our online form

Call 01246 217670

Email us contactus@
rykneldhomes.org.uk
 

Write to us Rykneld Homes Ltd, Pioneer House, Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield
S42 6NG

Twitter @Rykneld_Homes

Facebook @RykneldHomes