[Skip to content]

  • Rykneld Homes Facebook
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
Search our Site
Rykneld Homes
Piggy banks in the grass banner image

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit being introduced by the government and is currently being rolled out across the country. 

It replaces six means tested benefits and is designed to help people who are unemployed or on a low income. It affects people of working age.

From July 2018 all the North East Derbyshire area, apart from Ridgeway which comes under Sheffield, moved onto the full service.

Universal Credit Logo

What you need to do to prepare:

Get Online - Universal Credit is a fully digital service - this means that you have to claim online and your claim thereafter is managed online. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit full service please note you are responsible for reporting your rent changes using your online account.

You must arrange an interview with the local Jobcentre within 7 days of applying online otherwise you may have to start your application again. The member of staff who provides the interview will then become your 'work coach' and will support you through the process. 

You can use this website to make your claim: www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit.

To make an online claim you need:

  • Your postcode
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of tenancy agreement
  • Details of savings or capital
  • Details of any other income
  • Details of any other benefits
  • Details of any children, including your Child Benefit Reference Numbers
  • Partner's details

Email Address
- As a part of your Universal Credit claim you must have access to an email account as you will receive all of your claim correspondence through email.

Bank Account - You will need to have a transactional bank account / Building Society account / Credit Union account to receive your Universal Credit payments.

Budget Monthly - Your Universal Credit will be paid monthly in arrears; this means you will need to start to plan to budget monthly. There is an option to ask for a 100% advance payment, however this will have to be paid off over the following 12 months.

The library service is helping people to prepare for UC. Contact Derbyshire Library Information Service on 01629 533444.


How do I pay my rent with Universal Credit?

Universal Credit replaces Housing Benefit, any housing costs that you are entitled to as part of your Universal Credit claim will be paid to you directly in your monthly payment.

This means it is your responsibility to pay your rent directly to Rykneld Homes. You must inform the Rykneld Homes Rent Collection Officers that you have made a claim for Universal Credit, you can do this by calling us on 01246 217670.    

Ensure the rent information you provide on your application is up-to-date, your old tenancy agreement or rent statement may not reflect what the current rent charge is.


Advice and Help

If you need any help or advice about Universal Credit, Welfare Benefits, budgeting, or debts then we are here to help. We have a specialist Financial Inclusion Team that can offer assistance. For more information please contact the team on 01246 217670 and we will be happy to help you.

We have included a list of helpful links here to give you more information about Universal Credit: 

Find out what Universal Credit Service is Available in Your Postcode Area by clicking on the following link https://universalcreditinfo.net/.

Further information is available on the Governments website or you can call us on 01246 217670 for more information about how to pay your rent.