You can join the housing register by completing a Housing Application form which can be downloaded and printed. Please be aware you will need to fill in, sign and hand in a Tenancy Agreement Privacy Statement when you return your Housing Application form. A copy of the Agreement can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
You can also contact our Choice Move Team who will be able to help with any enquiries about the registration process on 01246 217670.
To apply to join the housing register you must be over 16 years of age and not own your home or have equity/assets or savings in excess of £30,000 (excluding current tenants).
You can apply for homes through Choice Move once you are:
- Registered on the North East Derbyshire District Council housing register
- Are already a customer
- If you are a tenant of one of our partner Housing Associations and have registered for a transfer.
When you are accepted onto the housing register, we will write to you and give you the following information:
- Your housing application number
- The band your application has been given and your effective date
- The number of bedrooms you are entitled to and the property type.
Changes in Circumstances
You must inform us if your circumstances change so we can reassess your application and if necessary, make changes to your band and priority date.
Who can use the system?
Anyone who has been accepted onto the North East Derbyshire District Council’s Housing Register can use the Choice Move system. There are some people who will not, by law, be eligible to join the housing register. They are:
- Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
- Certain people from abroad who are not subject to Immigration Control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, e.g. Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland
- People (including members of their household) who have been found guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable of becoming a tenant. This includes former or current customers with outstanding rent arrears.