Once signed your Tenancy Agreement is a legal document between you and North East Derbyshire District Council (NEDDC).  NEDDC is your landlord and Rykneld Homes is the agent responsible for managing your tenancy.

It is important that you read and understand this document.  If there is anything you do not fully understand, speak to your Housing Officer who will be able to help.

We can support vulnerable customers and those experiencing extreme circumstances to help maintain their tenancies by providing help with claiming benefits, budgeting and debt advice, personal safety and security advice, form filling and contacting other agencies and help to access support groups.

Get in touch for more information

Tenant Rights

Introductory and secure tenants have different legal rights available to them.  Here is a brief summary:

  • Right of succession of partner/family member - Secure and Introductory Tenants
  • Right to Assign - Secure and Introductory Tenants
  • Right to be consulted on housing management issues - Secure and Introductory Tenants
  • Right to Buy - Secure Tenants
  • Right to Exchange - Secure Tenants
  • Right to Improve - Secure Tenants
  • Right to Repair - Secure and Introductory Tenants
  • Right to Sublet - Secure Tenants
  • Right to take in lodgers - Secure Tenants.
Property Alterations

You need to obtain written permission from us if you want to carry out alterations to your home.  Alterations could include replacing your kitchen or bathroom or adding electrical sockets.

Request a Property Alteration online

Some alterations may require Planning Permission or Building Regulations Approval in addition to our written permission.  You would be responsible for arranging and paying for this.

If you have any doubts about whether you need permission to carry out alterations, please contact your Housing Officer before you start the works.

Wall and Ceiling Finishes - Some wall and ceiling finishes are considered as property alterations and you would require permission from us before proceeding with them.  Permission would not normally be granted for the following finishes:

  • Artex or similar textured coating
  • Plaster with a textured finish
  • Polystyrene tiles
  • Timber or plywood boarding.

If these finishes were applied in a council property, we would be entitled to recharge the cost of removing them and reinstating the smooth plaster to you.  This can be very high.

Vehicles & Parking

Parking within a front garden must only take place where there is an appropriate driveway or hardstanding.  It is not acceptable to park on grass, soil or rough surfaces.

You can now apply for hardstanding online - view the criteria, the North East Derbyshire District Council Hardstanding Specification and make an application using our online form.

Parking - Tenants and visitors should not park on grass verges or any other grassed or landscaped areas or cause an obstruction to either the road or footpath.

Parking larger vehicles - Caravans, boats and trailers should only be parked within a front garden where there is room and appropriate surface and access.  Such items with a carrying capacity over 1 tonne require written consent from Rykneld Homes.  They must not be parked on the highway or on any off-street parking areas.

No lorry, public service vehicle or commercial vehicle should be parked anywhere in the locality.

If you are in any doubt, please contact us and we will be happy to give further advice.

Vehicle Repairs - Vehicle repairing can cause a nuisance to your neighbours and oil spillages can damage public highways.  For these reasons, vehicle repairing on the highway, parking areas or grassed areas is not permitted.  Vehicle repairs can take place on a driveway or hardstanding but not on a regular basis.

Garages and Garage Plots - We have garages and garage plots available to rent in areas across the district.  For more information contact your Housing Officer.

Your Environment

We want your estate to be a place where you are proud to live.  We carry out regular Estate Inspections to ensure that estates are clean and well maintained.  Contact your Housing Officer to discuss any issues you have regarding your estate.

Gardens - As a tenant, you are required to keep your garden tidy and free from rubbish, pruning back any hedges or shrubs and maintaining your fences.

Here at Rykneld we love to see a well kept garden and each year encourage people to enter our gardening competition. 

There may be times however, when maintaining even a small garden can become too much.  North East Derbyshire District Council offers an assisted gardening service to the tenants who need it most. 

Visit the NEDDC website

Trees - If you have trees in your garden, before they become too big to manage, please arrange for them to be regularly trimmed and/or cut back.  Any tree work Rykneld Homes must complete due to safety reasons, or lack of maintenance by the tenant, may be recharged and this can be expensive. So, we encourage everyone to keep on top of their garden responsibilities, keeping their garden tidy and doing all they can to prevent any future issues of overgrown trees and/or foliage.

Trusted Trader - If you do not qualify to receive the council’s gardening service, you may wish to pay a gardener to maintain your garden.  Derbyshire County Council provide a service called Trusted Trader where you can find details of honest and reliable gardeners who provide a good service at a fair price.

Find out more about the Trusted Trader service

Grounds Maintenance - NEDDC are responsible for the delivery of all grounds maintenance to the land we manage.  We regular monitor the standards of this service.

Any concerns or complaints about this service should be directed to the Grounds Maintenance service at NEDDC on 01246 217285 or email darren.mitchell@ne-derbyshire.gov.uk.  Alternatively you can contact us on 01246 217670 or email contactus@rykneldhomes.org.uk and we will pass your comments on.

Ending Your Tenancy

You must give us four weeks written notice if you wish to end your tenancy.  The notice will start from the Monday after we receive your termination. This must be in writing by letter, email or by completing our standard Termination Form.

You must give us access to inspect the property during the notice period.

Everything you need to know is in our Ending Your Tenancy leaflet.

Termination Standard - Our Termination Standard sets out what you need to do when you terminate a tenancy.  You must:

  • Leave the property, fixtures and fittings provided in a good condition
  • Not leave any belongings behind - we may dispose of them and recharge the cost of this to you
  • Ensure all your belongings and any rubbish is cleared from your garden, garage, shed or any outbuilding
  • Not leave any rubbish in any communal area

Key points you need to know

  • Let us know in writing 4 weeks before you wish to leave. You must give us access to inspect the property during this notice period.
  • Leave the property free from damage with high standards of decoration. You may be charged if we have to put this right once you have vacated.
  • All outstanding rent or other charges must be paid.
  • Contact utility suppliers to cancel gas, electric, and water before you leave.
  • If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit please contact North East Derbyshire District Council to advise them of your change in circumstances.
  • Leave areas such as loft spaces and gardens in a clean condition and cleared of all rubbish and belongings. If any items are left in or around the property you will be charged for their removal - with costs starting from £60.
  • Please clean the property and garden.

Bereavement Support - We understand that it can be a very difficult time if you are ending a tenancy as a result of a bereavement.  We can offer advice and support to help you through the process.  If you would like to access this assistance, please contact us on 01246 217670 or email us contactus@rykneldhomes.org.uk.

Reasons for Eviction

Your Tenancy Agreement sets out what is expected of you as a tenant.  If you do breech the terms of the agreement, you may be evicted from your home.

There are formal routes that we would have to take to evict a tenant from their home and these are different depending whether you are an introductory or secure tenant.

Introductory Tenants - If an introductory tenant does not keep to the terms of the Tenancy Agreement, it is fairly easy for us to evict them by going to court to obtain an order for possession.  If the judge is satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed, he cannot refuse to grant the order.

We offer support to all tenants to help them to maintain their tenancies but it is important that you are familiar with the Tenancy Agreement keep to the conditions of it.

Secure Tenants - We can only take action to evict you by serving the relevant notice on you and then applying to the court.  We would not take this action lightly and would need just cause to do this.  There are a number of reasons we can do this, which are set out by law.  These reasons include:

If you have any problems with your own tenancy or the behaviour of other tenants, please contact us on 01246 217670 or email contactus@rykneldhomes.org.uk.

Communal Areas in Flats

It is really important everyone who lives in a property with a communal area or stairwell keeps this clear. This is to make sure there is unobstructed access for everyone day to day so there are no trip or fall hazards or items that could help flames spread in the event of a fire. Should you or your neighbours need to leave the building in an emergency, then it is imperative everyone can exit easily without anything in the way.

To help keep everyone safe Rykneld Homes requires all communal areas to be totally clear, there are no exceptions to this rule.

So, think carefully about what you do with your rubbish and where else you could safely store other items so that you and your neighbours stay safe. 

If you notice belongings or rubbish in the communal areas of your building, please let your Neighbourhood Team know.

Pets in Your Council Home

This section offers guidance on pets in Council homes across North East Derbyshire.

What are your responsibilities?

Generally, unless stated otherwise in your tenancy agreement, it will be up to you to:

  • arrange care for your pets when away
  • ensure your pet is always kept under control
  • making sure your pet doesn’t attack anyone or damage property
  • ensure that your property isn't being badly affected by your keeping of pets.

Your Tenancy Agreement will outline what the requirements are in order to keep pets in your property. You must adhere to this.

XL Bully dogs

The government has added XL Bullies to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. This is following a rise in attacks and fatalities caused by the dogs.

The change came into force from 31 December 2023 and will affect all of England and Wales.

GOV.UK: Prepare for the ban on XL Bully dogs

From 1 February 2024, it will be illegal to own an XL Bully unless your dog has been exempted.

You can apply for a certificate of exemption to legally keep your dog. Information about how to do this can be found on GOV.UK.

GOV.UK: Apply to keep an XL Bully

This process currently costs £92.40 per dog.

As part of the process to exempt your dog, you will need third-party liability insurance, which is insurance against your dog injuring other people. Your dog must be microchipped (which is already a legal requirement).

Your dog will also need to be neutered. If your dog is less than one year old on 31 January 2024, they must be neutered by 31 December 2024. If your dog is older than one year old on 31 January 2024, they must be neutered by 30 June 2024.

Once your dog has been exempted, you must adhere to the conditions otherwise you could be committing a criminal offence and your dog could be seized. You must inform us that you have an XL Bully in your home. We will then ask you for a copy of your Certificate of Exemption and proof of Third Party Public Liability Insurance. If you fail to provide this, we will report this to the police and follow our own enforcement procedures.

If you believe that a dangerous dog is being kept by one of our tenants illegally, please contact us to report this after you have contacted the police.

If you need advice

For more guidance, please check your Tenancy Conditions.

Rykneld Homes Tenancy Agreement

Tenancy Agreement Privacy Notice

To ensure that North East Derbyshire District Council and Rykneld Homes comply with the General Data Protection legislation which came into force on 01 May 2018, we have updated the Privacy Notice to record customer permissions.

View our Tenancy Agreement Privacy Notice page

RHL Tenancy Agreement

PDF | 769Kb

Ending Your Tenancy Leaflet And Termination Form

PDF | 2343Kb