Rykneld Homes has a dedicated team who can offer advice and support about money management and welfare benefits. You can contact our Financial Inclusion Officer for support.
It is never too late to start dealing with debt but it is crucial that you seek debt help as soon as you realise you’re struggling. Simple steps can help to put you on the right track:
- Work out how much money you have coming in and going out using a budget sheet. You can arrange your payments into priority and show how much you have left to pay towards your debts
- Speak to all the companies you owe money to - they may be able to provide advice and offer a repayment plan if you explain to them the difficulties you are having
- Pay off your priority debts first - these are debts like rent and Council Tax, which could lead to you losing your home or going to prison
- Plan how you are going to pay your less urgent debts such as an overdraft or credit card, over a longer period of time
- Maximise your income - use a benefits calculator to ensure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to
- Do not borrow more money to pay off your debts
- Minimise spending - visit our Money Saving Tips page for practical ideas of how you can save money
If you're struggling with debt, don't suffer alone - there are people our there who can help:
- Rykneld Homes' Financial Inclusion Officer can offer advice and support - contact us
- You can seek free, independent and confidential debt and financial advice from the North East Derbyshire Citizen's Advice who can be contacted on 0808 250 5702. Visit the CAB Money website for advice on debt and financial problems
- Step Change Debt Charity. They offer expert tailored advice and practical solutions for debt and money management. Contact number 0800 138 111 or visit www.stepchange.org
- For a safe place to save and borrow money, Rykneld Homes recommends Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Credit Union. For more information about them, visit their website at www.cnedcu.co.uk or telephone them on 01246 278833 or call into their offices at 4-6 Soresby Street, Chesterfield S40 1JN.
Beginner's Guide to Managing your Money
The Money Advice Service can offer a huge amount of information about dealing with debt and getting the most from your money. Good money management can mean many things - from living within your means to saving for short or long-term goals, to having a realistic plan to pay off your debts.