North East Derbyshire District Council have arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd a home contents insurance scheme only for
tenants or leaseholders of North East Derbyshire District Council to give you financial protection should these types of events happen. Or you could make your own home insurance arrangements.

The cost of insurance is payable weekly, fortnightly or monthly by payment card, monthly by direct debit or annually by cheque, debit or credit card. Please be aware your credit card provider may charge you interest on your credit card, increasing the amount you are paying for your premium.

There are 2 levels of cover for you to choose from: Standard and Accidental Damage.

  • Standard provides cover for the contents in your home against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.
  • Accidental damage cover has all the benefits of Standard cover and for an additional premium provides you with extra accidental damage cover for the contents in your home.

You should choose the level of cover which meets your specific needs.


  • Your home contents and personal items including bicycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home
  • They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood, but accidental loss in the home is not covered
  • Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, your legal liability to the public as occupier of the home or personally, and the cost of alternative accommodation
  • Improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc (but not conservatories)
  • Under Standard cover, accidental breakage cover is automatically provided for mirrors, ceramic hobs in free standing cookers or glass which form part of the furniture in your home
  • Standard cover also automatically provides accidental damage cover for home entertainment equipment such as TV, video, audio, satellite and computer equipment in your home. However, this does not cover accidental damage for all of your home contents, for this please choose Accidental Damage cover

Accidental Damage

  • This provides full accidental damage cover for the contents in your home, so for example, repair or replacement if you accidentally broke a vase or spilt wine on a sofa.

You also have the options to add cover for accidental loss or damage for your Personal Belongings, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs or Bicycles inside and outside of your home to Standard or Accidental Damage cover.

NEDDC Home Contents Insurance Flyer Feb24

PDF | 584Kb

NEDDC Home Contents Insurance Information Apr24

PDF | 555Kb