Rent charges

Ensure that you understand the weekly rent and any service charges associated with the property you are interested in. Can you afford these charges out of your current income?

If you are in receipt of benefits or on a low income you may be able to get help with your housing costs either through Universal Credit or housing benefit. North East Derbyshire District Council is now a Universal Credit area however some people are still entitled to claim housing benefit for help with housing costs.

If you need more information about which benefit you may be entitled to and how to claim we have a Financial Inclusion Officer who can assist; they can be contacted on 01246 217670. You can also obtain advice from external agencies such as the;

To avoid delays in benefits being paid please ensure that you access advice before the start of your tenancy. Trying to get these benefits backdated at a later date may be difficult.

You can apply for housing benefit and council tax support with North East Derbyshire District Council.

Read our section on Universal Credit for more information and how to claim.

Remember: If you claim help with your housing costs through Universal Credit you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax support through North East Derbyshire District Council .

With Universal Credit you will receive one monthly payment which will include any housing costs you are entitled to. You will be responsible for paying your rent directly to Rykneld Homes.

Free course - Money Saving Experts Academy of Money

The Open University has joined forces with MoneySavingExpert (MSE) to produce a new free course to give you the skills and knowledge to master your finances. The course was written by The OU, with MSE providing support and guidance.

MSE’s Academy of Money - OpenLearn - Open University

Universal Credit Factsheet 2017 060219

PDF | 108Kb

Claiming Benefits Online

PDF | 32Kb

Basic Bank Account Factsheet 050318

PDF | 100Kb

Budget Planner

PDF | 117Kb