You may let your property to a tenant but you must advise us of this by submitting a Notice of Underletting together with a copy of your underlease and a cheque made payable to North East Derbyshire District Council for the appropriate fee.  You must also make sure that your tenants agree with the contract you have with the Council and ensure they follow the terms of your lease.  Ensure you provide us with your new address and telephone number for emergency use as you will still be responsible for the payment of ground rent, service charges and also ensuring your tenant abides by the terms of your lease.

You will probably be expected to inform your mortgage provider and insurer (if you took out your own buildings insurance).  As a landlord, you will have legal duties which you must be aware of.  We advise you to speak to a Solicitor or lettings agency before you embark on letting.  A landlord who does not act legally can face severe consequences.

Gas Servicing

This is legislation in place to protect tenants from faulty gas appliances including the landlord’s obligation to have gas appliances serviced annually.  If you sub-let it is your responsibility as the landlord to have all gas appliances serviced on an annual basis.  Please ensure you send a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate to the Home Ownership Officer, if your lease requires you to do so.

Contact the Home Ownership Team